Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The one with the blind date.

I'm the kind of person who believes that meeting someone new is never a waste of time. Until, I was set on a blind date with Matthew. He was the friend of my hairdresser. Very time I had an appointment with her, she kept asking me if I was single because she had "someone perfect for me". A couple of weeks ago, I finally caved in. I agreed to meet Matthew who I heard was a good guy with a bright future ahead. Too good to be true? Hell, yeah!

Matthew choose the restaurant -yes, he insisted on buying me dinner-. We agreed to meet there. The restaurant was nice, very fancy. I was under-dressed and feeling incredibly uncomfortable while the waiter was taking me to Matthew's table. Wearing a suit my grand-uncle would have picked out, bald and cross-eyed, there was Matthew waiting for me. I thought about running away and never looking back, but I didn't. As he shook my hand, the only thing I could think about was; I'm being set up with a grandpa -and his palm is f*** sweaty!-

Plus, he is checking me out outrageously. I want to disappear under the table. Yes, he is nice to talk with and quite smart, but I could never picture myself kissing him -just writing it was hard enough!-

He payed for everything even though I offered to pay my half. -knowing I wasn't going to see him again, I wanted to be fair-

After I was done stuffing my face as fast as I could with my dish, Matthew asked me;
"Do you want a desert?"
"No, thanks. I, uh, have to get going soon. I have to be at school early tomorrow.", I said, as polity as I could.
"Well, how about one last drink?", he asked, his eyes full of hopes. I felt like a jerk leaving in a hurry after eating my dinner, so I said;
"Alright. One drink."

One scotch neat and one glass of red wine later, we headed to the parking lot.
"So, coffee at my place?", he asked.
"No, thanks.", I responded, walking to my car.

We left it there. He left me a couple of messages on my answering machine the next week. I finally called him back to tell him that I wasn't interested in going out with him again, but that we could be friends. He got mad.
"That's just rude!", he said.
"Rude? How am I rude?", I asked, my jaw on the floor.
"You just used me for a free dinner!"
"I didn't! I even offered to pay for myself!", I yelled back.
"All the girls say that, but none of them mean it! You had no intention of paying!"

Then, he demanded to know why he wasn't good enough for me. I was floored.
"You are just not my type. What more can I say?", I said.
"Well, why did you order another drink if you weren't feeling it?"
"I agreed to another drink, so it clearly meant that I wanted to sleep with you! It's none-sense!", I responded.
"It's none-sense to you because you didn't pay. If you had, you would see what I'm talking about!", he yelled.
"If you wanted to pay and get sex for sure, you should have gotten a hooker!" -That's what I thought I should have said, thinking back about it. Instead, I just hung up the phone and block his number.

And yes, I changed hairdresser. Sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment