Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The one with the premarital sex.

Hi, I'm Emily and six months ago, I had a date that terrified me to my very soul. Now, let's be honest here, I'm not usually going on dates with men I meet on the internet. Six months ago, I didn't even have a profile on an online dating website. Then, there was this drunken lonely Friday night. The kind of night where you feel sorry for yourself because all of your girlfriends choose to snuggle at home with their husband/boyfriend/lesbian lover instead of going out with you. So, you have a glass of wine -or six- and you hit the internet. Bam! Five minutes later you have a brand new profile on a dating website and you are flirting with strangers. I wasn't even thinking about I'd find anybody that I would actually like -and not just somebody I convinced myself I liked because I'm lonely-. Nevertheless, I receive an interesting e-mail from an handsome stranger. We talk -well chat!- all night. He is funny, charming and interesting. Jackpot! I thought, foolishly. A couple of days -and e-mails- later, he suggests a rendez-vous. I'm up for it. Can't be worst than spending another night alone. Turns out, yeah, It can.

Red wine, at the bar, waiting. Enters Andy*. It started out well. Then, the date seemed to turned into an interview.
"Do you smoke?", he asked.
"No, not at all.", I said, batting my eyes.
"Good. I don't like smokers.", he responded.

[At this point, I'm thinking; great,I don't like dating smokers too!]

I order another glass of wine. He orders another soda.
"Do you drink a lot?", he asked, looking at my wine suspiciously.
"No, no.", I said surprised, "I'm a social drinker. You don't drink?"
"No. Never.", he responded, all casual, "Never even had a sip."
"Really?", I said.
"Yeah. Never drank alcohol, or smoked a cigarette, or did any kind of drugs.", he said, "I have very strong values." 

[Okay, so he has values and believes in them. Good for him.]

"Did you ever do drugs?", he asked.
"Uh, no.", I said.
"You didn't even smoked weed?", he lashed at me.
"No. I didn't."

[I felt like I was a teenager coming home to her parents from a party and smelling weird.]

"Ever?", he asked, again.
"No. Never, ever."

[I was starting to be a little irritated here. Especially since he looked like he didn't believe me at all.]

"So, you said you were a student, uh?",I said, trying to re-direct the conversation.
"Yes."
"What do you study?", I asked.
"Theology."

[His profile did say that he was a christian. I didn't see the big deal.]

After telling me how much he loved his mother and intended on living at home until he got married, he asked me the thousand dollar question;

"So, do you practice premarital sex?", he said, looking me straight into the eyes.
"Uh, uh. Well, yes.", I answered, before pouring the rest of my wine down my throat and hoping that it was enough to get me drunk. Really drunk.
"Hum.", he said, "That's okay. I don't judge. I just -well-, won't tell my mother!", he said, laughing.
"Well, what's there to judge?", I -foolishly- said.
"I take sexual intercourse really seriously. I don't intend on having any before my wedding night."

[Yes, I was on a date with a 27 y.o virgin.]

Then, he insisted on talking about how many kids I wanted and if I was welling to move to the country. When I said I wasn't sure I wanted kids or if I wanted to live in the country someday, he started looking at his watch a lot. Pretty soon, I was walking home alone. All I could think about was; why did he tell me any of his stuff before going on a date with me! Clearly, he was looking for a very specific kind of girl, and could have given my a head's up.

[The guy even had the nerve to e-mail me a brochure titled; Start a new life, become a christian today!, or something.]

*I changed the name of my dates to preserve the identities of the poor men who agreed to go on a date with me!




No comments:

Post a Comment